Plant-based meat alternatives have come a long way since I first gave up meat in 2009. Gone are the days of a cardboard-like burger being the best option. Over the last couple of years, plant-based foods have truly become mainstream and the products being offered on supermarket shelves have improved vastly in terms of choice and quality.
I've been keeping notes on various products I've tried over the past few years and I thought it was about time that I put the information somewhere a little more accessible. They are not proper reviews or anything like that, just some notes and ratings to help me remember which options I like and which ones I don't. The main focus is on those that are fully plant-based (vegan) but included the vegetarian options I've tried as well.
In regards to where the products can be found, my closest supermarkets are Sainsburys, Aldi, Lidl, M&S, Morrisons, Iceland and Asda, so there are more likely to be products from those shops. I don't usually go to Tesco, our local Waitrose closed down a few years ago, and our local Co-Op is tiny. So don't expect to find many that are exclusive to these three.
Please note, where it says 'coming soon' below, I'd take the 'soon' part with a pinch of salt.
Also, I've started to reduce the amount of processed plant-based meats that I'm eating, so the pages won't be updated as frequently as they have been up until now.
Beef, Pork and Lamb
- Chicken Burgers
- Chicken Pieces - plain (not breaded or battered)
- Other Breaded and Battered Chicken (including nuggets)
- Fillets, Goujons and Fishcakes
- Fish Fingers (coming soon, maybe)
- Other Seafood (such as prawn toast etc...)
- Fast Food (NEW)
- Sandwiches (coming soon)
- Sliced meats (coming soon)
- Pre-made sandwich fillings (ie vegan egg mayo) (coming soon)
- Sausage Rolls
- Pork Pies
- Pasties and Slices (coming soon)
- Pies (coming at some point)
- Milk (I don't really drink them very often, so is hard to get started)
- Butter and Spreads
- Cheese (some ratings coming soon)
- Egg replacements